Monday, January 28, 2013

Chicken parm sandwiches


There are few things I love more than a good chicken parm.  I guess my husband is one of those things, but chicken parm is a close second.  I have this obsession with tomato sauces.  I love pizza sauce, marinara sauce, and spaghetti sauce.  It's all divine and delicious and I want it all!  A good sauce can make or break a dish.  Would you eat spaghetti topped with a mediocre sauce? I think not.

These sandwiches were just the thing to heat us up on a cold Ohio night.  Here's how to make em':

Sub or hoagie rolls
diced chicken
marinara sauce (homemade is best!)
parmesan cheese
mozzarella cheese

I found a really good deal on chicken breasts this week, so I bought them up.  I had just regular chicken breasts, skin on, with ribs attached.  I know what you're thinking.  Oh my gosh, skin on, are you trying to have a heart attack?  No, I'm trying to have a flavor explosion  I roasted my breasts with some italian dressing, salt, and pepper.  Then I removed the skin, and stripped the meat from the bone.  The chicken was so tender and juicy from leaving it on the bone with skin on! My husband was like, "what did you do to this chicken? It's awesome!"

I keep the bones to make stock with, and portioned the chicken into containers to freeze or use for the rest of the week. Then I skimmed the fat off of the liquids and saved that too! So much good stuff from just a good ol' chicken breast.

I toasted the rolls in the oven, then added the chicken, sauce, and cheese, and baked for 20 minutes.  The rolls were super crunchy and the inside was melty and satisfying.  Give it a try. Let me know what you think!

Oh and by the way, being a chicken parm aficionado;I hate when you get a chicken parm anything, and there's no parm! What the hell? It's part of the name! Don't try to just cover it with mozzarella cheese and serve it to me.  There better be plenty of salty, nutty parm on that chicken (other cheese is ok as well, as long as it is used in conjunction with the parm).

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment