Saturday, January 12, 2013

Roast Beast



I make some pretty awesome pot roast.  And that means something because I have loathed pot roast since I was a kid.  I hated the way my dad made it, and I'd always get yelled at for wanting to put barbecue sauce on it.  But this roast, this is smack yo' momma good!  I can't take all the credit for this roast because I found a basic recipe from allrecipes.com and I added some this and that to it to make it my own.

I know I've said this before but this is a husband approved recipe.  Let me tell you a little something about my husband, and why it means so much to me that he loves my food.  He is THE pickiest eater I have ever met.  When we first started dating, he only wanted to eat burgers, fries, pizza, and wings.  Pretty much anything you would find at a sports bar.  Gross.  Throw some salad in there once in a while.  Jeez.  It was so bad that this mother would cook him a separate dinner because he wouldn't eat what the rest of the family ate (in my opinion, he should have starved).  Anyway now he's eating all kinds of different things, thanks to me.

Before I give you the basics to my roast, let me warn you.  The ingredients sound really weird.  I was skeptical at first, but try it, you'll love it!

1 package brown gravy mix
1 package Italian dressing mix
1 package ranch dressing mix (do NOT get the ranch DIP mix, it's too salty and super gross in this dish)
1 gigantic roast beast
Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Celery
Parsnips
1 cup of water

Mix the mixes with the water. Peel and cube all the veggies except the potatoes.  Wash and quarter the potatoes. Put all the veggies on the bottom, potatoes on top, and the roast on the very top (fat cap up).  Pour the mixture over all of it.  Cook on low for 5 hours then open and switch the roast and potatoes (this makes the roast very tender because it's not in directed contact with all the heat).  Cook for 3 more hours. Enjoy!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment