Thursday, January 3, 2013

Lemon chicken and rice soup



Edit: I found out a little to late that I didn't have any rice, so I made lemon chicken and orzo.  Just as good, but not the same.


I know what you're thinking.  LEMON chicken and rice soup. Eww.  Sounds gross. I thought the same thing.  Until I tasted it.  It was the BEST chicken and rice soup I've EVER had.  I decided to ramp up my already awesome chicken and rice soup, and my husband loves it.  Now let me tell you, my husband does not do soup.  He doesn't like hot liquid (that's what she said! Haha!) So for him to like this, it's a damn miracle.  What's really good about this recipe is that you can have straight chicken and rice, or you can have it as a soup.  So everyone's happy right? Right!

I take a rotisserie chicken from Kroger for $5 (which are half off after 7PM, if they have any left), and I completely strip it. I always let it cool down completely before I start.  I tend to get way more meat off of it if it's cold enough for me to handle.  I separate the meat from the bones. The left overs (bones, skin, and fat) go into a stock pot.  Cover with water, add some salt and pepper, bring to a boil then drop to a simmer.  Let it simmer a minimum of two hours.  The longer, the better, you will be rewarded.  I drain the junk from the stock using a mesh strainer (there are so many small bones, and I don't want my darling husband to choke.)  Throw in some rice, shredded carrots,lemon juice, and diced onions and call it a day.  It is so warm and filling, and the best thing is, if you have leftovers they're even better the next day! I'll post some pictures, be sure to check them out.

Ashley

1 comment:

  1. I love chicken, lemon and rice soup :) I use a left-over roast chicken carcass and some uncooked chicken drumsticks (or whatever chicken I have on hand), plus carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves etc to make the soup. Then I serve it as follows: Put a few spoons of cooked rice in the bottom of the bowl in a mound. Ladle in the soup plus shredded cooked chicken from the soup pan. Squeeze a bit of lemon over. Swirl a bit of sour cream ontop and add a thin slice of lemon for garnish (sits on top of the rice mound). Grind a bit of black pepper over as a final touch. Now I feel hungry and I have only just had breakfast lol. I would love to see photos of your food attached to your post.

    ReplyDelete