Friday, January 4, 2013

Mushroom Risotto


This was my first attempt at making risotto, and since I've never had it, I must say it turned out pretty damn good.  My husband said it needed more cheese but, he thinks everything needs more cheese.  I like to think I'm a pretty accomplished cook for having no formal training.  My dad would cook dinner when I was little, and I would watch.  That's how I learned.  Ohhh, and I watched way too much food network growing up.  Alton Brown is my hero.  I love how he combined science and cooking to break it down and make it understandable.  He explains why you do the things you do when you're cooking so you know how important it is to not skip steps.  I wish you could have seen my face when my husband gave me two of Alton Brown's cookbooks for our anniversary!  He thinks I'm lame because for Christmas I asked for a can opener.  Oh well, it's my life.

Any way back to the risotto.  Start with any mushrooms you like, and some onion.  Chop em' up.  Saute with a little butter and olive oil.  Next add the aborio rice.  Stir it around so it can get some onion lovin' as I like to call it.  Slowly add a ladle at a time of warm chicken stock (I prefer the low sodium so it's not too salty by the end).  You need about a 4:1 ratio of stock to rice.  Stir everything around until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid then add more until it doesn't seem to be able to take anymore. At this point I add the finishing touches.  Check for seasoning, add parmesan cheese and garlic. Mmm.  I also made a balsamic vinegar reduction to plate with.  I felt like the risotto is kind of heavy and super creamy with the cheese, so I wanted something to cut through that richness.  Hope you like it!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment