Monday, January 14, 2013

Chicken tortilla soup

So I put sour cream and crunchy tortilla strips on top, and called for my husband to come take a picture.  And... it all melted before he got there.  So this isn't the best looking picture, but the taste is there.  It's a simple recipe.

I used a rotisserie chicken of course.  I stripped the meat and then simmered the bones and such for a couple hours.  Then I drained off the stock and put it in another sauce pan.  I'll explain that later.  I rough chopped some onions and added some olive oil to my dutch oven.  I let those cook down and then added some chipotle peppers.  Chipotle peppers are just smoked jalapenos  but they add a nice smoky depth and heat to the soup.  Let those cook for a few more minutes.  Add a ladle of stock from the sauce pan.  I used my immersion blender to smooth everything out.

At this point I added about 5 small corn tortillas that I cut into strips.  Let these soak up the chicken stock, and slowly break down.  Add more stock as needed to keep everything smooth.  Once all the tortilla strips have dissolved, add the rest of the stock.  Throw in the chicken meat that you striped earlier. And ta-da! A delightful chicken tortilla soup that is super creamy and flavorful.

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment