Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The best mashed potatoes you will ever taste


When I'm sick there is nothing that I want more than ginger ale, mashed potatoes, and the remote.  I'd say that I want my husband to take care of me, but let's face it, men don't take care of women.  And if they're sick, they turn into whiny, snot filled babies.  Anyway... These mashed potatoes are just what I want when I'm sick.  And I'm talking about those boxed freeze dried potato flakes either.

When I find a good deal on something I buy them out.  Meijer had a great sale on potatoes ($2.00 for 10 pounds), so I bought a bunch.  I decided that I was going to prep all these potatoes so that I could freeze them and use them when I wanted.  If you freeze stuff right it will last a LONG time in that frigid air box above your chill chest.

I diced most of the potatoes and par-boiled them.  You have to partially cook them or they will turn black when you freeze them.  Plus it makes this faster when you pull them out.  By the time they get thawed out their practically cooked!  I also shredded some of them so I could pull them out and put them on the waffle iron (more on that later).

To make these velvety mashed potatoes you will need:

potatoes
half and half
evaporated milk
butter
sour cream or cream cheese
garlic
salt
pepper

Dice potatoes and put in a pot with cold water and salt.  Potatoes cook the most even when they start in cold water.  Cook till fork tender and then drain.  In a separate pan mix half and half, evaporated milk, and butter.  Bring up to a simmer.  Use a masher to break up the potatoes and slowly add some of the dairy mixture. Use the masher to mix everything together, and add sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic.  Add dairy mixture as needed until desired consistency is reached.

The whole point of this post, besides giving you the recipe was to explain that I freeze these mashed potatoes, so I can pull them out whenever I want them.  I cooked shredded potatoes (hash browns) with a waffle iron because it cooks them at a high temperature and makes them super crispy.

Give 'em a try.  Let me know what you think.

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment